Jonathan R. Goff, M.D.
During his orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, Dr. Goff was selected to be the Harvard Intercontinental Shoulder Fellow. The fellowship consisted of six months under the mentorship of Dr. Jon JP Warner, Dr. Tom Holovacs, and Dr. Laurence D. Higgins at Massachusetts General Hospital and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. The second 6 months of the fellowship was spent in Switzerland, at the University of Zurich, Balgrist, under the mentorship of Professor Christian Gerber. The Intercontinental Shoulder Fellowship provided Dr. Goff with the opportunity to travel extensively throughout Europe and work with several master shoulder surgeons including Dr. Gilles Walch in Lyon, France and Dr. Laurent Lafosse in Annecy, France.
Dr. Goff has an advanced knowledge and training in all aspects of shoulder surgery. His interests include the entire spectrum of pathologies of the shoulder. He specializes in major reconstruction procedures of the shoulder including total shoulder replacement, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, instability procedures, fracture repair, revision surgery, and the care of throwing athletes.
Dr. Goff lives in Marin County with his family and enjoys both mountain and road biking. He has been a team physician for the United States Ski Team working with both the Men’s Alpine Team and the Combined Freestyle Team.
To learn more about Dr. Goff, please visit www.marinshoulder.comView Dr. Goff's CV
Licensure / Certifications
- State of California Licensure
- Common Wealth Virginia Licensure
- Common Wealth Massachusetts Licensure
- Board Certified American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Candidate Member American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Specialty: Shoulder, Sports Medicine - Throwing Athletes, and Orthopedic Trauma.
- Practice Location: Mt. Tam Orthopedics, Larkspur, CA
- 08/2006 – 07/2007 Intercontinental Harvard Shoulder Fellow.
Mentors: Jon J P Warner, M.D., Lawrence D. Higgins, M.D., Massachusetts
- Brigham Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
- General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Christian Gerber, M.D., Zurich, Switzerland
- Zurich University, Balgrist, Switzerland
- 06/2001 – 06/2006 Orthopedic Surgery Resident, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Virginia. Charlottesville, VA.
- 08/1997 – 05/2001 M.D. Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC.
- 07/1994 – 05/1996 Post-baccalaureate, George Mason University. Fairfax, VA.
- 09/1988 – 05/1992 B.A., Colgate University. Hamilton, New York. Economics Major, Political Science Minor.
- 08/1993 – 06/1987 Phillips Exeter Academy. Exeter, New Hampshire.
- 07/1995 – 05/1997 Research Assistant, Department of Neurosurgery, Georgetown University. Washington, DC.
- Research focus: The effect and prevention of neuronal plasticity in the spinal cord with an emphasis on immunocytochemical markers in the lumbar dorsal horn, trauma to the sciatic nerve, peripheral inflammation, and nociceptive behavior.
- Performed neurosurgery on rat central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Quantified nociceptive behavior and effects of analgesic treatments on behavior.
- Performed immunocytochemistry on neural tissue.
- Captured and produced digital images to show changes in immunolabeling.
- Presented work at the annual meetings of the Society for Neuroscience and the American Pain Society.
- 06/1993 – 06/1994 Teacher, Saint Barnabas College, Johannesburg, South Africa
- High School Teacher: Mathematics and Geography, Grade 9. History,Grade 12.
- Athletic Coach: Swimming, Tennis, Softball.
- Resident Advisor: Student boarding house.
- 06/1992 – 10/1992 Intern, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu International: International Lending Agency Group, Washington DC
- Designed database and data entering system for the firm and international member firms registration in Data on Consultants Network of the World Bank.
- Conducted research on projects concerning privatization and economic growth in developing countries.
- 11/1992 – 04/1993 Certified PSIA Professional Ski Instructor. Crested Butte, Mountain Resorts. Crested Butte, CO
- Goff JR, Burkey AR, Goff DJ, Jasmin L. Reorganization of the Spinal Dorsal Horn in Models of Chronic Pain: Correlation with Behavior. Neuroscience 1998.
- Goff JR, Jasmin L. Plasticity in the Dorsal Horn Following Neuropathic Injury and Inflammation. Society for Neuroscience Abstract. 26th Annual Meeting 1996.
- Jasmin L, Kohan L, Franssen M, Janni G, Goff JR. The cold plate as a test of chronic neuropathic and inflammatory pain models. Pain 1998.
- Goff JR, Jarjour WN, Chhabra AB. Psoriatic arthritis in the hand following trauma: a case report. (In preparation)
Current Research Interest
- Determining sensitivity of magnetic resonance imaging in detection of rotator cuff tears in a cadaveric model.
- Investigating initial base plate stability in the reverse/inverse total shoulder arthroplasty prosthesis.
- Correlating clinical findings of partial thickness rotator cuff tears with magnetic resonance image.
Interest and Hobbies
- Scuba Diver
Technical Divers International: Certified Extended Range
- National Association for Cave Diving: Certified Full Cave
- PADI: Rescue Diver
- Mountain and Road Biking