John C. Keohane, M.D.
My goal for my patients is a rapid return to the highest possible level of function and health, and restoration to an active lifestyle as soon as possible. I approach my patients with an attitude of caring, a state of the art knowledge base, and over 30 years of surgical experience and expertise. In surgery- experience matters!
As the population of Marin ages, more people are requiring joint replacement surgery. I am the most experienced joint replacement surgeon in Marin County. I have been doing Direct Anterior Hip Replacements since 2010, and I have currently done over 100 Anterior Hip Replacements. I also perform both complex and primary knee replacements . In the past two years we have created a program to carry out partial knee replacements in an outpatient setting where recovery is more rapid and more comfortable for the patient.
Sports and athletics have always been important to me, and I have been a Physician for the United States Ski Team for the last 30 years. As a result one of the main focuses of my practice is sports related injuries. My primary interest is in knee repair, reconstruction, and cartilage restoration procedures in the knee.
I enjoy my patients and my work tremendously, and I feel honored and grateful that my skills allow me to help patients reach their optimal state of health and function.View Testimonials
"I am so grateful to Dr. Keohane for making me walk again after a fall and partial removal of my kneecap. He was very patient with me, explained everything and answered all of my questions during a frightening time in my life. Today I am almost back to normal after a six month recovery thanks to Dr. Keohane and the skilled physical therapists at Mt. Tam Physical Therapy. What a relief! I want to also thank Shana, his assistant. She was very helpful and responded to my numerous questions quickly. Thank you, Shana, for everything. " Beverly W.
"Ten days ago Dr. Keohane did an anterior hip replacement on my right hip. Since day five after surgery I have needed no more than a couple of Tylenol daily to keep me virtually pain free. In just ten days I am walking unassisted, fully weight bearing, going up and down stairs, driving without problems, and almost back to my normal life routine. This is nothing short of miraculous! Dr. Keohane and his staff have been incredibly professional and caring, if not a little unassuming and conservative in their expectations. " Sharron K.
"Thank you Dr. Keohane for your deft and caring surgery on my knee that allowed me to be hiking up and down the mogul course to photograph the US Freestyle Mogul Selections event just a mere two months after the procedure. Couldn't have done it without you! " Kirk P.
"I was recently in a short video about the Golden Gate Bridge electricians. I have you (Dr. John Keohane) to thank for the very fact that I am still able to work as an electrician after surgery on both shoulders, 15 years apart. Thank you for the excellent care. "
"After the initial Orthovisc injections both my knees felt better, even by the time I reached my car. With subsequent injections the yoga child's pose prayer position was attainable and after the recommended wait-time, I'm back to cavorting again in Modern Jazz dance classes. Thank you so much to Dr. Keohane, John, and also to Juliana for her perseverance in getting insurance authorization." Marcia H.
View Dr. Keohane's CV
- B.S. - 1964 University of Minnesota
- Medical School: M.D. - 1968 University of Minnesota - *Graduated 2nd in class of 142
- Harbor General Hospital, Torrance. Calif. in 1968-69
- General Surgery - Harbor General Hospital, Torrance, Calif. 1969-70
- Orthopedic Surgery - St. Mary's Hospital, San Francisco, Calif. 1973-76
- U.S. Army Medical Corps - 1970-73 (Ft. Wainwright, Alaska) Rank - Major
- AO Fellowship - Switzerland: Feb. - June 1984
- Physician- US Ski Team, 1981-present
- Medical Director of Total Joint Program Marin General Hospital, 2005 - Present
- State of California
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery September 1978
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine
- Williams Foundation Scholarship - for Athletic and Academic Excellence
- Alpha Omega Alpha - Academic Excellence, 1966-67, 1967-68
- Minnesota Medical Foundation Scholarship, 1965-66, 1966-67, 1967-68
- Graduated Med School 2nd in a class of 142
- Harbor General Hospital Award for Outstanding Performance in Surgery
- San Francisco Chronicle Magazine, “San Francisco Super Doctors 2012”, August 2012
- Marin Magazine, “ Top Doctors”, February 2012